Experience the beauty and history of the Murray River like never before with a 4-night Murray River cruise aboard the PS Emmylou, the world’s only wood-fired paddlesteamer doing overnight cruises. Built in 1980 and recently upgrading to include luxury cabins with ensuites, the PS Emmylou offers a truly unique way to explore the stunning Australian outback.
As you set sail from Torrumbarry you’ll be transported back in time to the era of the original paddle steamers that once plied the Murray River. The PS Emmylou’s wood-fired engines provide an authentic experience that you won’t find anywhere else in the world. You’ll marvel at the craftsmanship of this historic vessel, with its gleaming brass and polished woodwork.
During your 4-night journey, you’ll have the opportunity to explore the region’s rich history and diverse wildlife. Onshore tours will have you disembarking at places of historical, geographical and cultural significance including the historic Perricoota Station and Echuca, once home to the largest fleet of paddlesteamers in the world. You will also visit Restdown Winery learning about the local Aboriginal culture on wetlands guided walk with the owners before enjoying a delicious lunch. You’ll also dine under the lights of the Southern constellations with our signature riverside dining, complete with a river campfire and roasting marshmallows.
Back onboard the PS Emmylou, you’ll enjoy delicious meals prepared by our talented chefs using fresh, locally sourced ingredients. Relax on the sun deck with a glass of wine as you take in the stunning river views. Each night, you’ll retire to your beautifully appointed cabin, complete with all the modern amenities you need for a comfortable stay. Fall asleep to the gentle sound of river and wake up each morning to a new day of adventure on the Murray River.
A 4-night Murray River cruise aboard the PS Emmylou is a truly unforgettable experience, combining the luxury of modern amenities with the charm and authenticity of a bygone era. Book your journey today and discover the magic of the Murray River and the world’s only wood-fired paddlesteamer.
4-Night Murray River Cruise
Last Cabins Available for 2023
- Enjoy an owner-led guided tour of Restdown Winery & wetlands, followed by a delicious lunch.
- Take a town tour of historical Echuca sites and learn about the rich local history.
- Embark on an expedition eco-cruise aboard the Murray Explorer and enjoy a scenic lunch on the riverbanks.
- Explore the beautiful gardens of Perricoota Station, the famous filming location for All the Rivers Run.
- End your day with a memorable riverside BBQ dining experience under the stars, complete with live entertainment and a crackling campfire.
- Take in the stunning beauty of the Torrumbarry Weir and its surroundings.
- Experience all-day cruising with a historical commentary that will transport you back in time and immerse you in the rich cultural heritage of the Murray River region.
- Start your river experience from Melbourne – Complimentary return V/Line train fares are included in your cruise fare departing from Melbourne’s Southern Cross Railway station.
- See full details and further options HERE
- Complimentary return V/Line train fare from Melbourne
- Complimentary coach transfers to Toorumbarry to commence your cruise
- Luxury air-conditioned cabin with private ensuite
- All onboard meals including morning & afternoon tea
- Onshore tours
- Chef prepared Regionally-inspired meals
- Selected wine & beer with dinner service
- Espresso coffee, tea, soft drink & bottled water
WIFI throughout the boat
Deposit & Car Parking
- A deposit of $400pp is required to secure the booking, with full payment due 90 days from the cruise date
- Undercover secure car parking is available for cars at $25 per night. For larger vehicles please contact us directly
Day 1 – Norris Bend
After arriving by coach from Echuca settle in as Emmylou departs Torrumbarry upstream, take the opportunity to savour an afternoon Devonshire tea while enjoying the picturesque views and acquainting yourself with fellow cruisers.
You may chat with the skipper in the wheelhouse to learn about PS Emmylou’s river history, relax in your private cabin or relish a drink in the saloon during “Happy Hour” as the sun sets.
In the evening, the crew will have a riverside campfire ready for you to enjoy after a chef-prepared welcome dinner at Norris Bend. Keep an eye out for kangaroos, wombats, and birds as you bask in the river birds’ evening chorus and the emerging stars.
Day 2 – Perricoota Station
After a hearty breakfast, PS Emmylou will cruise to the famous Perricoota Station. You’ll have the opportunity to board our coach to visit Restdown Winery, joining the property’s owners for a guided tour along a 1.4km wetlands walking trail, highlighting items of Aboriginal significance before enjoying a gourmet lunch of local produce and wine tastings.
Afterward, you’ll walk along the historic buildings and immaculate gardens of Perricoota Station before enjoying a fabulous dinner on Emmylou’s deck overlooking the famous property and river.
The night will conclude with a fascinating documentary featuring archival footage of the paddlesteamers and communities of the Murray River.
Day 3 – Layfield Lane
For early risers and avid photographers, the morning mist and wildlife around Perricoota is a spectacle to behold. Enjoy a full day of cruising upstream towards Layfield Lane with lunch on the deck or in the saloon.
Afterward, experience a grand dinner on the riverbank with our signature Australian BBQ, followed by live entertainment and casual conversation around the campfire (weather dependent).
Day 4 – Moama Wharf
Begin your day with a rewarding breakfast before embarking on a half-day land and river tour. Your tour explores the historic town of Echuca discovering little-known historic sites such as Hopwood’s Punt and pontoon bridge, which was the first crossing of the river created by Echuca’s founder Henry Hopwood.
You’ll then experience the magic of the Murray River on our Eco Expedition boat, the Murray Explorer. After enjoying morning tea at the historic Echuca Wharf, you’ll embark on a journey upriver, immersing yourself in the natural wonders of the Murray River.
As you cruise, you’ll witness breathtaking scenery and diverse wildlife, all while learning about the rich history of the river from pre-European to early colonial riverboat days. Afterward, we’ll make a stop at a remote sandy river beach where you’ll enjoy a delicious lunch, surrounded by the beauty of this iconic Australian destination.
We then return to Emmylou for an afternoon tea service as you continue upriver towards mooring overnight at Moama Wharf
Before breakfast, early risers can enjoy a wander along the boardwalks of Horseshoe Lagoon, indulging in some wildlife spotting and learning about the importance of wetlands and floodplains along the mighty Murray River before PS Emmylou departs for the Port of Echuca, where we reluctantly say farewell.
Coach transfer to Echuca Car Parking, Train Station, and CBD Hotels